A Training Activity for Understanding Multiple Needs
MNingful Life has been designed to provide opportunities for learners to explore the issues and barriers faced by people experiencing multiple needs. It was originally developed for our Peer Mentor training programme.
MNingful Life has been created to suit all learning styles.
Guidance for using MNingful Life during COVID-19 outbreak
During the COVID-19 outbreak, it isn’t possible to use MNingful Life exactly as we intended. We’re unable to get together in groups and teams and use the resource in a fully interactive way.
But there are ways that it can be adapted and used in online meetings and training sessions. Here are some ideas:
- Share the PDF of the MNingful Life Board and use it to prompt discussions about the journeys of people with multiple needs
- Share one or two Opportunity or Setback cards and use these to prompt discussions
- Refer to a digital copy of the Core Competency Framework for Multiple Needs Workers and consider how this can be applied in ‘Opportunity’ and ‘Setback’ situations.
Downloading MNingful Life
All the elements of MNingful Life are available for download. This includes:
- One board
- 23 Opportunity Cards
- 23 Setback Cards
- 46 Discussion Cards
Download zip file here (11.6MB)
Printing MNingful Life
If you decide you want a hard copy of MNingful Life, all the files are formatted and ready to send to a professional printing company.
Remember to ask for the following specifications:
- For the board: 3mm case-bound board, scored and cut so that an A2 board folds down to A4.
- For the cards: Laminated, print both sides, rounded corners.
Guidelines for Using MNingful Life in your training
MNingful Life is not “played” to be won. The board and cards demonstrate a hypothetical person’s life journey from needing very intensive support to total independence. The journey is not linear and reflects Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs. The cards represent the details of that journey: areas of need; support and guidance; as well as setbacks and opportunities.